What's Happening Around Candor?
We love our small town with the big heart! Many organizations are having events to add to the enjoyment of our citizens.
- Art Splash workshops will take place on the third Sunday of the month from 1:00 - 3:00 at the Candor Free Library on Bank Street. Ages 8-108, under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. $5 fee. Bring your own smock/apron. To register call Johanna at 659-7375.
- Monday night Line Dance Lessons at Punk's Place, 21 Mill St., 7 - 9 PM. $5 per person.
- Story Hour at the Candor Free Library is every Tuesday at 10:15 AM. Bring your preschoolers so that they can enjoy stories, finger plays, activities and games.
- Chili and Soup at St. Mark's Church every Tuesday through February -5:00 - 7:00 PM. Donation.
- Reagan's Tae Kwon Do instruction is held at the Allen Memorial Baptist Church Gym on Tuesday and Saturday. Free. Call Aaron Reagan at 659-5266 for more information.
- The Bread of Life Food Pantry on Water Street is open every Wednesday from 3:00 - 5:30 PM.
- The Open Hearts Dinner, a free meal, is held every Wednesday night at the Methodist Church on Owego St. from 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Candor Valley Riders Snowmobile Club meetings are at 7:00 PM on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at the Candor Ambulance Garage.
- Candor Senior's Meeting, noon dish-to-pass, Methodist Church, 224 Owego St., every 4th Thursday.
- T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) every Thursday at the Town Hall. 5:00 - 7:00 PM.
- Friday Night Magic at Kazon Cards and Games, 80 Main St., 6-9 PM every Friday.
- Fried Fish dinner or sandwich at the American Legion, sponsored by Legion Auxiliary, every 2nd and 4th Friday. 6:00 - sold out. $10 for dinner, $6 for sandwich. Call to reserve your fish at 659-7395 on the night of the dinners, or call or text 372-8977 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pancake Breakfast on the 2nd Saturday of the month (Oct. to March) sponsored by Candor Valley Riders Snowmobile Club. 8:00 - 10:00 AM at the Beebe Sap House, Spencer Rd.
- January 20 - Retirement party for Fran Howe, Library Director. 2 - 4 PM at Candor Free Library.
- January 24 - Rabies vaccination clinic at Candor Fire Station, 6 PM. $10 donation suggested, but not required. Pre-registration suggested for faster service at www.health.ny.gov/go2clinic/54.
- January 26 - Movie night at the Village Chapel, 28 Main St. 7 PM. Come see the "Resurrection of Gavin Stone" at no charge. There will be concessions available for purchase. All proceeds will be donated to the Camp Electric Fundraiser. We have 3 teens that are planning on attending Camp Electric in June which is an event to help teach and encourage future worship leaders.
- February 4 - Chili by the quart available for pickup between 11:30 and 1:30 PM. Pre-orders only must be placed by January 31. Call 659-5213. Leave your name, phone number, and message. $6 a quart. St. Mark's Episcopal Church, 17 Main St., Candor. Proceeds to benefit the organ restoration fund.
New Members Wanted
The Candor Chamber of Commerce is running a campaign for new members. It's only $35.00 to become a member. You will then be added to this website and our Facebook page, and we will try to promote your business as much as possible. Be a part of Candor’s History! Some of our upcoming events and projects are:
- Daffodil Dayz April 28, 29th & May 5, 6th
- Candor Veterans Memorial
- Candor Forward
- Candor Community Showcase March 24th
- Memorial Day Parade
- Out and About Each month
- Route 96 Flea Fix Friday July 6 & Saturday 7th
- Fall Festival October 5th, 6th, 7th
- Holiday Tour of Homes Sunday, December 2nd
- Annual Meeting and Dinner Election of Officers Sunday, December 6th
- For more information call Cheryll Berg at 743-4379 or Gloria Ward at 659-7312.
Candor Veteran's Memorial
Dick Zavatto, Candor Chamber of Commerce Veterans Memorial Fundraising Chairman, accepts a $1,500 check from Rose Blinn of Tioga State Bank. This puts us over our Goal! Anything over our goal of $9,000 will be used for improvements and maintenance to the memorial site in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor. Thank you, Tioga State Bank and to all who have contributed! The dedication will be on Memorial Day, 2018.
Grants for Free Home Repair
Do you know anyone who needs a new roof or heating system or paint, or a new porch? There are TWO home grants being offered for our area right now. They cost the homeowner nothing. One is being offered by Tioga Opportunities, and the other by Bishop Sheen Housing. Tioga Opportunities is based in Owego, phone 607-687-4222, and helps low-income homeowners with repairs. Bishop Sheen Housing helps with home repairs for low-moderate income families, seniors, veterans, and persons living with disabilities. Call 585-657-4114 or email email@example.com. Click here for an application.
2016 Video of Candor