What's Happening Around
We love our small town with the big heart! Many organizations are having events to add to the enjoyment of our citizens.
- September 19 - Essential Oils Class at the Candor Free Library. 10:00 - 11:00 AM.
- September 21 - EMS Four Person Captain and Crew Golf Tournament at Catatonk Golf Club, 8:30 AM. Register on the Candor EMS Facebook page or at candorems.org. $65 per person includes greens fees, cart, and chicken bbq. This is a fundraiser for EMS.
- September 22 - Art Splash at the Candor Free Library, 2 Bank St., with Johanna Husband. 1 PM - 3 PM for emerging artists from 8 - 108. Free. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. To register call Johanna at 659-7375.
- September 23 - Come check out the Candor History Center at 25 Main Street from 9 AM - Noon. We now have copies of all of the old Candor Couriers dating from 1899 - 1965. There should be lots of interesting reading there! Also, we have lots of family genealogies if you are doing genealogy research! Open every Monday morning from 9 AM - Noon.
- September 24 - Sexual Harassment Course offered free of charge by the Chamber of Commerce. 6:30 PM. Candor Town Hall.
- September 25 - Candor Historical Society presents Tom McEnteer talking about Railroads of Tioga County. 7 PM at the Candor Fire Hall, Owego Rd. Open to the public.
- September 29 - Paint with Sandy at the Candor Free Library, 2 Bank St. 1:30 PM. Free. Register by calling the library at 659-7258.
- October 1 - Start thinking about the Scarecrow you are going to put up in front of your home or business. Register your scarecrow for the contest by September 7 at email@example.com. Scarecrows must be in place by September 7.
- October 7 - November 17 - Fay's Fitness "Stay Off the Scale" Challenge. More information here.
- October 10 - 12 - Friends of the Library Book Sale at Candor Free Library. 10 AM - 6 PM Thursday and Friday. 10 AM - 4 PM Saturday. Bake Sale on Saturday.
- October 11 - 13 - Candor Fall Fest (some activities listed below). Go to the Fall Fest page for more information.
- October 12 - 39th Annual American Legion Auxiliary Craft Fair at the Legion on Spencer Rd. 9 AM - 4 PM. Chicken and Biscuit lunch. Raffles, Bake Sale. Looking for vendors. Contact Sandie at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 972-4254.
- October 12 - Historical Society Bake Sale and sale of Christmas decorations at the History Center, Main St., 10 AM - 4 PM.
- October 12 - Side Hill Acres celebrates the Candor Fall Fest on Spencer Rd. 10 AM - 6 PM. Tour the goat farm, sample cheeses. Sip Fingerlakes wines and beers. Food and craft vendors. Stop the Game video games truck for all ages.
- October 12 - Suicide Awareness and Prevention 5K in memory of Tim Neild. Candor Elementary School. 4 PM. Registration begins at 1:30 PM.
- October 13 - Cemetery Walk with Phil Jordan at 1 PM at Maple Grove Cemetery on Owego St. Sponsored by the Candor Historical Society.
- October 13 - Hymn Sing and Ice Cream Social at the Congregational Church. 6 PM.
- October 23 - Phil Jordan Talk on the Funeral Business. 7 PM Candor Fire Hall, Owego Rd., Sponsored by the Candor Historical Society. Refreshments will be served.
- November 9 - Harvest Supper, McKendree United Methodist Church, Owego St. 5 PM until sold out. Take outs available. Free will donation.
- The third Sunday of the month from October to March a pancake breakfast is held at the Candor Fire Hall, 74 Owego Rd. from 8 - 11 AM. Call 659-5859 for more information.
- Art Splash workshops will take place on the third Sunday of the month from 1:00 - 3:00 at the Candor Free Library on Bank Street. Ages 8-108, under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. $5 fee. Bring your own smock/apron. To register call Johanna at 659-7375.
- Candor Community Chorus rehearsals in the Candor Elementary School music room. 7:00 PM. Everyone welcome.
- Candor History Center is open 9 AM- Noon. Other times by appointment by contacting Georgia Westgate at 659-7769.Lots of old photographs, family histories, information on past Candor businesses, Old CCS Yearbook, old newspapers, books about growing up in Candor, etc.
- Monday night Line Dance Lessons at Punk's Place, 21 Mill St., 7 - 9 PM. $5 per person. 659-5714.
- Story Hour at the Candor Free Library is every Tuesday at 10:15 AM. Bring your preschoolers so that they can enjoy stories, finger plays, activities and games. Starts September 11.
- Lego Club at the library from 5 -7 PM weekly. Open to all. Every week there is a different challenge to create.
- Tuesday Dinner Karaoke at Punk's Place 6:30 - 10:00 PM.
- Candor Forward Meetings are the third Tuesday of every month at 7 PM at the Candor Fire Hall. Topics include rebuilding Candor Business and planning for the Daffodil Festival. Come and get involved, we'd love your input and help!
- The Write Now Writer’s Group meets the first Wednesday of the month at the Candor Free Library, from 10:00 a.m. until Noon. Participants must be 18 or older to attend. The Write Now Writer’s Group is a multi-genre group of writers who have met since 1992 to share information on various writing topics as well as publishing trends. It’s an active supportive and social group. For more information on membership or visiting the group, contact author Carol Henry at email@example.com or 607-659-7661.
- Tai Chi classes with Sue Heavenrich at Candor EMS building, 58 Main St. from 2 - 3 PM on Wednesdays. Sliding fee scale. For more information, or to register for a class, contact Sue at 607-659-3022 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Bread of Life Food Pantry on Water Street is open every Wednesday from 3:00 - 5:30 PM.
- The Open Hearts Dinner, a free meal, is held every Wednesday night at the Methodist Church on Owego St. from 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Candor Valley Riders Snowmobile Club meetings are at 7:00 PM on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month from September to March at the Candor Ambulance Garage. From April through August, the meetings are held only on the 1st Wednesday of the month. No meeting in July.
- Moms All Striving Together, a group for all moms for fellowship and encouragement. Childcare provided. Meets the 1st Thursday of the month at the Candor Congregational Church, Main St. 9:30 - 11:30 AM. Contact Mary Wheeler at email@example.com or 659-5067.
- Candor Senior's Meeting, noon dish-to-pass, Methodist Church, 224 Owego St., every 4th Thursday.
- T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) every Thursday at the Town Hall. 5:00 - 7:00 PM. Contact Jean Dewey at 659-9969 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reagan's Tae Kwon Do instruction is held at the Allen Memorial Baptist Church Gym on Thursday from 5:30 - 6:30 and Saturday from 2:30 - 3:30. Free. Call Aaron Reagan at 659-5266 for more information.
- Friends of the Library meet downstairs at the Candor Free Library at 7 PM on the last Thursday of the month except November and December. They sort and put away the generously donated books which will be sold at their book sales in May and October to raise money for the library.
- American Legion Auxiliary Friday night Fish Fry every 2nd and 4th Friday from October to April at the American Legion building on Spencer Rd. 6 PM until gone. $12 dinner, $8 sandwich. Call 659-7395 the night of the dinners to reserve yours, or call or text Gwen Benners at 372-8977 on Thursday or Friday to reserve your meal.
- Friday Night Magic at Kazon Cards and Games, 80 Main St., 6-9 PM every Friday.
- 4th Saturday. Free Breakfast at the Village Chapel, Main St.
Chamber Business in the News: An Interview with Pete Clare at Turkey Trot Acres
Candor's 146th 4th of July Celebration a Success!
New Members Wanted
The Candor Chamber of Commerce is running a campaign for new members. Dues are $35 a year. You will then be added to this website and our Facebook page, and we will try to promote your business as much as possible. Be a part of Candor’s History! Some of our yearly events and projects are:
Candor Daffodil Festival first Saturday in May
Grants for Free Home Repair
Do you know anyone who needs a new roof or heating system or paint, or a new porch? There are TWO home grants being offered for our area right now. They cost the homeowner nothing. One is being offered by Tioga Opportunities, and the other by Bishop Sheen Housing. Tioga Opportunities is based in Owego, phone 607-687-4222, and helps low-income homeowners with repairs. Bishop Sheen Housing helps with home repairs for low-moderate income families, seniors, veterans, and persons living with disabilities. Call 585-657-4114 or email email@example.com. Click here for an application.
May 4, 2019 Candor Daffodil Festival a Success
Read more about it here!
2016 Video of Candor