What's Happening Around Candor?
We love our small town with the big heart! Many organizations are having events to add to the enjoyment of our citizens.
- Art Splash workshops will take place on the third Sunday of the month from 1:00 - 3:00 at the Candor Free Library on Bank Street. Ages 8-108, under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. $5 fee. Bring your own smock/apron. To register call Johanna at 659-7375.
- Monday night Line Dance Lessons at Punk's Place, 21 Mill St., 7 - 9 PM. $5 per person.
- Story Hour at the Candor Free Library is every Tuesday at 10:15 AM. Bring your preschoolers so that they can enjoy stories, finger plays, activities and games.
- Chili and Soup at St. Mark's Church every Tuesday through February -5:00 - 7:00 PM. Donation.
- Reagan's Tae Kwon Do instruction is held at the Allen Memorial Baptist Church Gym on Tuesday and Saturday. Free. Call Aaron Reagan at 659-5266 for more information.
- The Bread of Life Food Pantry on Water Street is open every Wednesday from 3:00 - 5:30 PM.
- The Open Hearts Dinner, a free meal, is held every Wednesday night at the Methodist Church on Owego St. from 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Candor Valley Riders Snowmobile Club meetings are at 7:00 PM on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at the Candor Ambulance Garage.
- T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) every Thursday at the Town Hall. 5:00 - 7:00 PM.
- Friday Night Magic at Kazon Cards and Games, 80 Main St., 6-9 PM every Friday.
- Fried Fish dinner or sandwich at the American Legion, sponsored by Legion Auxiliary, every 2nd and 4th Friday. 6:00 - sold out. $10 for dinner, $6 for sandwich. Call to reserve your fish at 659-7395 on the night of the dinners, or call or text 372-8977 or email@example.com
- Pancake Breakfast on the 2nd Saturday of the month (Oct. to March) sponsored by Candor Valley Riders Snowmobile Club. 8:00 - 10:00 AM at the Beebe Sap House, Spencer Rd.
- December 9 -24 - Candor Salvation Army Red Kettle Campaign will take place for the next 30 days at various times at the Candor Market. Bell Ringers wanted. Please call Alicha at (607)768-2042 to volunteer for a time to ring.
- December 9 - "First Ladies" Play at St. Marks Episcopal Church to benefit Organ Restoration Fund. 7 PM. $15.
- December 11 - 22 - Tioga State Bank Go Local Giveaways. Every day a different local business will be highlighted on the bank's Facebook page. In order to win, the participant much like Tioga State Bank's Facebook page and like each day's post. Winners chosen by random drawing. https://www.tiogabank.com/12-days-of-golocal-giveaways/
- December 16 - Painting with Sandy at the Library from 1:30 - 4PM. Ages 9-99. Register in person at the library or call 659-7258 or 659-4166.
- December 17 - Breakfast with the Grinch. 8 - 11 AM. Candor Fire Station.
- December 17 - Art Splash at the Library from 1 - 3 PM. Ages 8 -108. Under 12 need to be accompanied by an adult. $5 for materials. Register in person at the library or call 659-7375 or 659-7258.
- December 25 - Free traditional Christmas dinner at St. Mark’s Church serving at 1:00pm. Reservations are required to be sure we prepare enough food for everyone. Call 358-7017.
- December 29 - Pizza and Wings. 6:00 PM. Candor American Legion. Proceeds go to support the Color Guard.
- January 24 - Rabies vaccination clinic at Candor Fire Station, 6 PM. $10 donation suggested, but not required. Pre-registration suggested for faster service at www.health.ny.gov/go2clinic/54.
Candor Veteran's Memorial
Dick Zavatto, Candor Chamber of Commerce Veterans Memorial Fundraising Chairman, accepts a $1,500 check from Rose Blinn of Tioga State Bank. This puts us over our Goal! Anything over our goal of $9,000 will be used for improvements and maintenance to the memorial site in Maple Grove Cemetery, Candor. Thank you, Tioga State Bank and to all who have contributed! The dedication will be on Memorial Day, 2018.
Nov. 9 Ribbon Cutting at Kazon Cards
Candor Chamber of Commerce ribbon cutting was held on Nov. 9, at Kazon Cards and Games, Candor's new business at 80 Main St., Candor.
Pictured are Linda Wintermute, Candor Resource Center, Teresa Twarz, Candor Market, Cheryll Berg, Thunderbird Atlatl, Terri Rennells, Mill Pond Antiques, Rita Kellogg, Hillside Farms, Dick Zavatto, John Tuferella, Kazon, Nancy King, Warren Real Estate.
Grants for Free Home Repair
Do you know anyone who needs a new roof or heating system or paint, or a new porch? There are TWO home grants being offered for our area right now. They cost the homeowner nothing. One is being offered by Tioga Opportunities, and the other by Bishop Sheen Housing. Tioga Opportunities is based in Owego, phone 607-687-4222, and helps low-income homeowners with repairs. Bishop Sheen Housing helps with home repairs for low-moderate income families, seniors, veterans, and persons living with disabilities. Call 585-657-4114 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here for an application.
2016 Video of Candor