What's Happening Around Candor?
We love our small town with the big heart! Many organizations are having events to add to the enjoyment of our citizens.
- Art Splash workshops will take place on the third Sunday of the month from 1:00 - 3:00 at the Candor Free Library on Bank Street. Ages 8-108, under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. $5 fee. Bring your own smock/apron. To register call Johanna at 659-7375.
- Candor Community Chorus rehearsals in the Candor Elementary School music room. 7:00 PM. Everyone welcome.
- Monday night Line Dance Lessons at Punk's Place, 21 Mill St., 7 - 9 PM. $5 per person.
- Story Hour at the Candor Free Library is every Tuesday at 10:15 AM. Bring your preschoolers so that they can enjoy stories, finger plays, activities and games.
- Tai Chi classes with Sue Heavenrich at Candor EMS building, 58 Main St. Tai Chi for Arthritis takes place from 1 - 2 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Part II Tai Chi happens from 2 - 3 PM on the same days. Sliding fee scale. For more information, or to register for a class, contact Sue at 607-659-3022 or email email@example.com. Classes start April 3.
- 24 Forms Tai Chi takes place at Candor EMS building from 2-3 PM Wednesdays at 58 Main St. Same contact as Tai Chi above. Starts April 4.
- Reagan's Tae Kwon Do instruction is held at the Allen Memorial Baptist Church Gym on Tuesday and Saturday. Free. Call Aaron Reagan at 659-5266 for more information.
- Tuesday Dinner Karaoke at Punk's Place 6:30 - 10:00 PM.
- The Bread of Life Food Pantry on Water Street is open every Wednesday from 3:00 - 5:30 PM.
- The Open Hearts Dinner, a free meal, is held every Wednesday night at the Methodist Church on Owego St. from 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Candor Valley Riders Snowmobile Club meetings are at 7:00 PM on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at the Candor Ambulance Garage.
- Moms All Striving Together, a group for all moms for fellowship and encouragement. Childcare provided. Meets the 1st Thursday of the month at the Candor Congregational Church, Main St. 9:30 - 11:30 AM. Contact Mary Wheeler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 659-5067.
- Candor Senior's Meeting, noon dish-to-pass, Methodist Church, 224 Owego St., every 4th Thursday.
- Candor Farmer's Market. Town Hall Pavilion. 3:30 - 6:30 PM on Thursdays starting June 21.
- T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) every Thursday at the Town Hall. 5:00 - 7:00 PM.
- Bike Night at Punk's, Mill St., 6 - 9 PM every Thursday night. A different band every week!
- Friends of the Library meet downstairs at the Candor Free Library at 7 PM on the last Thursday of the month. They sort and put away the generously donated books which will be sold at their book sales in May and October to raise money for the library.
- Friday Night Magic at Kazon Cards and Games, 80 Main St., 6-9 PM every Friday.
- Upcoming Events
- May 28 - Memorial Day Parade and dedication of the Candor Veteran's Memorial at Maple Grove Cemetery.
- June 9 - Canduckie Derby at the Catatonk Downs behind the American Legion on Spencer Rd. Activities start at noon. Duck race takes place at 2:00 PM. Duck Race tickets $5 each. Raffles, Bake Sale, Silent Auction, Food. This fun event is to raise money for the Candor 4th of July Celebration: fireworks, float prizes, bands, carnival, etc.
- June 21 - First day of the Candor Farmer's Market. Town Hall Pavilion. 3:30 -6:30 PM. New vendors this year.
- June 29 - Mobile Mammography for women age 35 and over. St. Mark's Episcopal Church. 9 AM - 3 PM. To schedule an appointment please call Lourdes Central scheduling (607)798-5723. You do not need a physician’s order if it has been over a year since your last screening mammogram.
- July 1 - Horse Pull behind the Candor American Legion. 1 PM.
- July 4-8 - Candor's Annual Fourth of July Celebration - parade, kiddie parade, carnival, vendors, car show, horse pull, fireworks. See https://candorjuly4th.weebly.com for more information
- July 6 - Candor Community Chorus Concert. 7 PM. High School Auditorium.
- July 13, 14 - Get Your Flea Fix On and Around Rt. 96 and 96B. Community flea markets, yard/garage sales, and small business events in Owego, Catatonk, Candor, Willseyville, and Spencer. More details later.
Memorial Day Parade/Dedication Candor Veteran's Memorial
The Candor Memorial Day Parade will take place on Monday, May 28. Those participating in the parade should gather at the American Legion building on Spencer Rd. at 9:30 AM. The Parade will begin from there at 10 AM, continue down Main St. to the bridge where a wreath will be placed to honor those who lost their lives at sea, and continue on to the cemetery on Owego St. At that time the new Veteran's Memorial will be unveiled. Then Legion and Legion Auxiliary members will continue with their traditional Memorial Day service.
Candor 4th of July Celebration Events Schedule
Candor Daffodil Festival a Success
Read more here.
CANDOR’S DAFFODIL FESTIVAL A SUCCESS
by Anne Stout, published in Life in the Finger Lakes May 8, 2018
The Candor Chamber of Commerce held their first Daffodil Festival on Saturday, May 5 on the Candor Ball Park at the corner of McCarty Street and Spencer Avenue. The event was sponsored by the Candor Chamber of Commerce, but a portion of the proceeds benefited the Candor Resource Center food pantry.
Over 80 vendors were on hand. Agricultural businesses such as Side Hill Acres Goat Farm provided cheese tastings, and Finger Lakes wineries and craft breweries provided tastings. There were also several food and refreshment vendors, crafters, antique dealers, home party vendors, local bands, and Candor Friends of the Library provided books for children.
The Daffodil Festival coordinated with the 10th annual Daffodil Daze, held at the Zamoiski home on 292 Candor Hill Road. The Zamoiski invite folks to come visit the over 54,000 daffodils planted on the property in honor of their mother Joy Zamoiski.
Daffodil Daze went on for two weekends; April 27-29; and May 4-6. There are over 170 varieties of daffodils, 5 words spelled out in daffodils, 19 distinct mixes and a breast cancer ribbon in daffodils.
According to literature available from the family daffodils symbolize rebirth and new beginnings, and are virtually synonymous with spring. Though their botanical name is narcissus, daffodils are sometimes called jonquils.
When the two weekends are over the family follows Joy Zamoiski’s example, and with the help of volunteers who pick and help the family deliver the daffodils to nursing homes, hospitals, hospice, and shut-ins.
The 2019 Daffodil Daze will be held April 26, 27, 28 and May 3, 4, 5. Be sure to some observe the beauty for yourself.
New Members Wanted
The Candor Chamber of Commerce is running a campaign for new members. New members $20 first year. $35 a year after that. You will then be added to this website and our Facebook page, and we will try to promote your business as much as possible. Be a part of Candor’s History! Some of our upcoming events and projects are:
Grants for Free Home Repair
Do you know anyone who needs a new roof or heating system or paint, or a new porch? There are TWO home grants being offered for our area right now. They cost the homeowner nothing. One is being offered by Tioga Opportunities, and the other by Bishop Sheen Housing. Tioga Opportunities is based in Owego, phone 607-687-4222, and helps low-income homeowners with repairs. Bishop Sheen Housing helps with home repairs for low-moderate income families, seniors, veterans, and persons living with disabilities. Call 585-657-4114 or email email@example.com. Click here for an application.
2016 Video of Candor