What's Happening Around Candor?
We love our small town with the big heart! Many organizations are having events to add to the enjoyment of our citizens.
- Art Splash workshops will take place on the third Sunday of the month from 1:00 - 3:00 at the Candor Free Library on Bank Street. Ages 8-108, under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. $5 fee. Bring your own smock/apron. To register call Johanna at 659-7375.
- Candor Community Chorus rehearsals in the Candor Elementary School music room. 7:00 PM. Everyone welcome.
- Monday night Line Dance Lessons at Punk's Place, 21 Mill St., 7 - 9 PM. $5 per person.
- Story Hour at the Candor Free Library is every Tuesday at 10:15 AM. Bring your preschoolers so that they can enjoy stories, finger plays, activities and games.
- Tai Chi classes with Sue Heavenrich at Candor EMS building, 58 Main St. Tai Chi for Arthritis takes place from 1 - 2 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Part II Tai Chi happens from 2 - 3 PM on the same days. Sliding fee scale. For more information, or to register for a class, contact Sue at 607-659-3022 or email email@example.com. Classes start April 3.
- 24 Forms Tai Chi takes place at Candor EMS building from 2-3 PM Wednesdays at 58 Main St. Same contact as Tai Chi above. Starts April 4.
- Reagan's Tae Kwon Do instruction is held at the Allen Memorial Baptist Church Gym on Tuesday and Saturday. Free. Call Aaron Reagan at 659-5266 for more information.
- Tuesday Dinner Karaoke at Punk's Place 6:30 - 10:00 PM.
- The Bread of Life Food Pantry on Water Street is open every Wednesday from 3:00 - 5:30 PM.
- The Open Hearts Dinner, a free meal, is held every Wednesday night at the Methodist Church on Owego St. from 5:00 - 6:30 PM
- Candor Valley Riders Snowmobile Club meetings are at 7:00 PM on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month at the Candor Ambulance Garage.
- Moms All Striving Together, a group for all moms for fellowship and encouragement. Childcare provided. Meets the 1st Thursday of the month at the Candor Congregational Church, Main St. 9:30 - 11:30 AM. Contact Mary Wheeler at firstname.lastname@example.org or 659-5067.
- Candor Senior's Meeting, noon dish-to-pass, Methodist Church, 224 Owego St., every 4th Thursday.
- T.O.P.S. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) every Thursday at the Town Hall. 5:00 - 7:00 PM.
- Friends of the Library meet downstairs at the Candor Free Library at 7 PM on the last Thursday of the month. They sort and put away the generously donated books which will be sold at their book sales in May and October to raise money for the library.
- Friday Night Magic at Kazon Cards and Games, 80 Main St., 6-9 PM every Friday.
- Fried Fish dinner or sandwich at the American Legion, sponsored by Legion Auxiliary, every 2nd and 4th Friday. 6:00 - sold out. $10 for dinner, $6 for sandwich. Call to reserve your fish at 659-7395 on the night of the dinners, or call or text 372-8977or email@example.com
- Upcoming Events
- April 27, 28, 29, May 4, 5, 6 - Daffodil Daze at Zamoiski's, 292 Candor Hill Rd. 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- April 28 - Guided birding walk at Logan Hill Nature Preserve. 6:30 - 8:30 PM. Wear comfortable clothes and bring a flashlight. Please meet at Candor UHS, 54 Main St. The walk will go on unless there is heavy rain, in which case it will take place on April 29.
- April 29 - Citizens of the Year Tea honoring Diane and Lynn Craig. 2 - 4 PM at the Candor American Legion Building in Spencer Rd.
- May 5 - Candor Daffodil Festival sponsored by the Chamber to benefit the Resource Center of Candor. 10 AM - 5 PM at the Candor Ball Field on Rt. 96. There will be music, vendors, food, antiques, beer/wine, children's activities, and more. Come join the fun! More information can be found here and on Facebook.
- May 6 - Rogation Service at 10:00 AM. Iron Kettle Farm, Owego Road. Blessing of the crops and animals followed by a dish-to-pass luncheon.
- May 13 - Mother's Day Chicken BBQ by Candor Emergency Squad starting at 11:00 AM. $10. Pre-purchase your tickets as this usually sells out. You can purchase your tickets from squad members, calling 659-5529 or e-mail or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 18 and 19 - Friends of the Library Book Sale for a donation at Candor Free Library, 2 Bank St., 10-6 on Friday and 10-4 on Saturday.
- May 28 - Memorial Day Parade and dedication of the Candor Veteran's Memorial at Maple Grove Cemetery.
- June 30 - Candor Community Chorus Concert. 7 PM. High School Auditorium.
- July 1 - Horse Pull behind the Candor American Legion.
- July 4-8 - Candor's Annual Fourth of July Celebration - parade, kiddie parade, carnival, vendors, car show, horse pull, fireworks. See https://candorjuly4th.weebly.com for more information
- July 13, 14 - Get Your Flea Fix On and Around Rt. 96 and 96B. Community flea markets, yard/garage sales, and small business events in Owego, Catatonk, Candor, Willseyville, and Spencer. More details later.
Candor Daffodil Festival Set for May 5
.The Candor Chamber of Commerce is planning a Daffodil Festival on Saturday, May 5, from 10 AM - 5 PM at the Candor Ball Field on Rt. 96. It is planned as an expansion of the wonderful Daffodil Daze event the Zamoiski family holds each spring in Candor. The festival will feature all types of vendors, antiques, bands, food, refreshments, beer/wine, interesting displays and unique items. Children and families will be treated to a children's activity area and there will be a town-wide scavenger hunt. More information is available here and on our Facebook page.
Interested vendors may click here for an application.
Candor Daffodil Festival Welcomes Spring
Click on the picture to be take to the article about Daffodil Daze and the Candor daffodil Festival.
New Members Wanted
The Candor Chamber of Commerce is running a campaign for new members. New members $20 first year. $35 a year after that. You will then be added to this website and our Facebook page, and we will try to promote your business as much as possible. Be a part of Candor’s History! Some of our upcoming events and projects are:
Restoration of Welcome to Candor Signs is Completed
Over the course of a year, the three WELCOME TO CANDOR signs have been completely restored by master woodcarver, Roger Westgate. The signs were originally carved and painted about 20 years ago by 4 members of the Catatonk Valley Woodcarvers: Roger Westgate, Dave O'Konsky, Dick Warner and Chad Showers.
The restoration project was initiated and then organized by Carol P. Van Epps (Candor Chamber of Commerce and Candor Forward) for each stage of the taking down, transport and re-mounting. And those signs were heavy! She was ably and cheerfully assisted, as they were available, by Dick Warner, Roy Yarrington, Ed Wilson, Ken Decker, George Williams and Jake De Lisle. Please notice and enjoy these welcoming works of art on Owego Road, Spencer Road and Ithaca Road.
Ribbon Cutting at Creekside Tavern
Side Hill Acres is on YouTube
Candor Veteran's Memorial
Our fundraising goal has been met and exceeded!
Any further donations will be used to enhance and maintain the memorial. Thank you, everyone, for your generous support. Please join us on Memorial Day at the Maple Grove Cemetery for the dedication of our beautiful memorial.
Donations may still be sent to the
Candor Chamber of Commerce, PO Box 32, Candor, NY 13743.
Write memorial on memo line. The Memorial will honor local veterans from all wars.
Grants for Free Home Repair
Do you know anyone who needs a new roof or heating system or paint, or a new porch? There are TWO home grants being offered for our area right now. They cost the homeowner nothing. One is being offered by Tioga Opportunities, and the other by Bishop Sheen Housing. Tioga Opportunities is based in Owego, phone 607-687-4222, and helps low-income homeowners with repairs. Bishop Sheen Housing helps with home repairs for low-moderate income families, seniors, veterans, and persons living with disabilities. Call 585-657-4114 or email email@example.com. Click here for an application.
2016 Video of Candor